Saturday, September 07, 2013

So how was my sabbatical?

Now that I am back from my sabbatical, the people I wasn't on committees with are asking me how the sabbatical went.

I don't know how to answer them. I did clean up of a lot of projects that were hanging around in various states of incompleteness, so I guess that's good. There were 5 journal papers finished and submitted, and I know 3 of them got accepted, which I guess is good. There were two conference papers I submitted and then gave this summer. I feel like those represent more of what a sabbatical should be - making major work on a new project. So is just two of those good? I don't know.

I still have two incomplete projects hanging around, and I really, truly, seriously need to just finish writing up those babies and get them out. Also one of the conference papers. I thought I had a good plan for setting deadlines and getting that done, but now it looks like that is not going to work.

I am just having a really hard time getting motivated to do much of anything in the evenings. Being back in the classroom has been quite tiring, and then there is the other starts of the academic year that Bun, Offspring and Spouse are facing, that require support from me. We're back to my making breakfast, 4 different lunches and a dinner in crockpot all before 7:30 a.m. time. Every day. I can do it, but I'm not so used to it any more. So it has really been draining.

Then there is this service thing from hell that has been eating me alive. It's one of those things that I regularly ask myself "why the heck did I agree to do this?" Then I remember that we were optimistic that we could get some grant support, which would look good on a tenure application. But we didn't. And the thing still has to happen. And we has turned to I this semester, as my partners in this have had a lot of other stuff to do and have flaked out on me.

And now I have things to grade again - 58 of them this weekend.

So perhaps it's understandable that I'm tired.

But I need to figure out a way to get the motivation back. Soon.

2 comments:

Janice said...

All five of those endeavours count. Sabbaticals aren't just for new starts: they're for being productive on your research and/or publishing.

Sorry about the problems with re-entry and exhaustion. I understand: we have a new puppy who requires a lot of exercise (three strenuous walks a day!) which makes everything else that much more of a challenge.

Good luck!

nicoleandmaggie said...

I'm confused as to why you have to make breakfast and 4 different lunches and dinner every day, and why in the morning.

Our six year old has been able to pour himself cereal since he was three. Currently he has a cereal bar instead. He also makes his own lunch the night before (we all make our lunches together the night before). If a six year old can do it, so can a grown spouse, and so can older children.

If you're not motivated to do work in the evenings, then why not do chores (as a family, not just by yourself) in the evening?