I've gotten through the first weeks of the semester meetings and wrapping up a search committee, and there are a few weeks until advising starts, so I'm at a bit of a lull. The spring semester is always hard, with all the starting up and wrapping up, the recruiting of the new students events on top of everything else. So I'm trying to take care of a bit of time to be chill. Only did about 90 minutes of work this weekend. It's now late Sunday night and I'm trying to convince myself that it will be fine if I let things go until the morning.
In other news, I listen to pedagogy podcasts driving to work and when I have to go to the store and stuff, and I enjoyed this one this week.
I learned about the 3 characteristics of burnout:
- Overwhelming exhaustion
- Feelings of cynicism and detachment from the job
- A sense of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment
I sat in the WalMart parking lot, having just put my groceries in the car, having finished this one and realized it was a check. check. check.
Interestingly, the solution is apparently not time away from work. It's adjusting the priority that work has in your life.
I think this is truly hard for most academics. We do sometimes absurd amounts of work for comparatively small concrete reward, so something like cognitive dissonance makes us convince ourselves that it's important and we like it. Then when we don't like it, we feel guilty.
But really, if I walked away, New U or any U would just quickly replace me and not think twice about it. So doing some rebalancing really does seem like it is in order.
1 comment:
Brass Kalash Gangjal Water for APNA showroom worship, high quality brass lamps for worship, beautiful Panchdeep Brass Diya for Pooja, reliable tick TAC hair clips for women, fine lice comb, andApna Showroom Shree Sampurna Vyapar Vridhi Yantra Lakshmi Yantra Vashikaran Yantra Kuber Yantra 24k Gold Plated Yantra for Home, Office, Business, and Puja Ghar - Spiritual Energy and Prosperity Enhancement
Apna Showroom Tic Tac Hair Clips for women tik tak tic tak tic hair pin saree pin women's pin hairpin multicolor hair pin Girls Snap Hair Clips, Girls Daily Use Clips Multi Print Design Stylish clips Multicolour (100 Piece
Apna Showroom Ganga Jal - Holy pure Ganga Jal Har ki pauri Brahmakund Prasad Tasveer Chunni Haridwar Ganga Jal Natural Ganga jal
stylish metal bands for women/men/girls offer stylish metal bands for girls. Prepassed with care, these required rituals, functions, and rituals of rituals, ceremonies and grooming with modern practicality for home, temple and personal use.
Post a Comment